SEAWEEDS USED: KELP FLAKES & ALARIA FLAKES
Dashi is the base of all miso soups. It usually contains dried, smoked fish flakes but you can also enjoy a vegan dashi by adding shiitake mushrooms to the Kelp.
THIS RECIPE SERVES 2
- 500ml Hot water
- 5g Kelp Flakes
- 2 Shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Miso paste
- 100g diced Tofu
- 5g Alaria Flakes
- 1 Sliced spring onion
TO PREPARE THE DASHI
- Boil the water, then allow to sit for 5 minutes
- Pour the hot water over the Kelp Flakes and shiitake mushrooms in a suitable pot or bowl, cover and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Strain the liquid through a sieve into a cooking pot.
- To make a clear stock a cheesecloth or a coffee filter could be used.
- The Dashi can be stored in a jar in the fridge for a week or frozen into ice cube trays for longer storage.
TO PREPARE THE MISO SOUP
- Heat the Dashi to a gentle bubble and then reduce the heat, without allowing to boil.
- Scoop out a cup full of liquid and dissolve the Miso paste using a fork before returning it to the pot.
- Add the diced Tofu and Alaria Flakes and heat through.
- Ladle the soup into two bowls containing the sliced spring onion.
ENJOY THIS PURIFYING SOUP!