What a healthy comfort-food classic! For this recipe, we used Alaria Flakes to give a cottage pie that special something.
Flaked Alaria is incredibly versatile. Because of its mild and salty taste, you can simply use them as a creative salt substitute.
Seaweed used: Alaria Flakes
Recipe serves 6
- 2 gloves of garlic
- 1 red onion
- 2 tins of tomatos, chopped
- 1 carrot
- 1 pepper
- 1 tin of chickpeas, chopped
- 200g lentils
- 1 tbsp butter
- 125ml milk
- 8 potatoes
- Handful fresh parsley
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 - 3 tbsp Alaria Flakes
- olive oil
TO PREPARE THE VEGETARIAN COTTAGE PIE
- Chop the potatoes into chunks. Boil and then, simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Cook the lentils.
- Peel and finely slice onions, garlic and carrots and cook for about 10 minutes until softened with some olive oil.
- Add chopped tomatoes, lentils, paprika seasoning, a pinch of salt and soy sauce. Bring to the boil
- Add pepper, chickpeas, parsley, 1 - 2 tbsp Alaria Flakes and leave simmering.
- For the topping, mash potatoes with milk, margarine and some salt and pepper.
- Put mixture in a casserole tray, with mashed potatoes on top.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake in oven for about half an hour, 180 degrees.
- Once the cottage pie is ready to serve, sprinkle Alaria Flakes on top - this is super delicious and adds the special something to the dish.
YUMMY. ENJOY THIS COMFORTING TREAT!